A big part of eating healthily comes from planning ahead, but sometimes finding the ideas of what to prepare can be the hardest part. That’s why we’ve put together 5 healthy meal prep ideas that will help you stay on track towards your health and fitness goals.
Egg & Chicken Sausage Breakfast Wrap
Photo credit: cookingclassy.com
With delicious chicken sausages wrapped in an egg white wrap, this high protein recipe is a perfect low-carb healthy meal prep option. Enjo as lunch or have as a light breakfast to kick-start your day!
- Low-calorie cooking oil spray
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 Chicken Sausages
- 1 chopped up salad tomato
- 4 Chopped up C=cooked mushrooms
- Spinach & Mixed Leaf Salad
- Optional: No added sugar or salt Heinz ketchup (only 6.8Kcal per tablespoon!)
- Cook your chicken sausages as instructed – for best results grill for 12 – 15 minutes. Once cooked, slice your sausages.
- Whisk one large egg white well.
- Spray a large non-stick pan with low-calorie spray and heat for around 1 minute
- Add your egg white and by tilting the pan, quickly move the egg white around the pan so the entire pan is thinly covered.
- Turn the heat down low and cook until the edges of the wrap begin to peel away and you can lift and remove your wrap easily without it sticking.
- Follow the same instructions to make a second wrap.
- In a pan cook your chopped mushrooms and tomato.
- On your wraps add sliced sausages, cooked mushrooms and tomato and a small handful of mixed leaf salad or spinach. Add sauce.
- Close and roll up your wraps and your good to go!
Carbs: 10g (sugar: 5g)
Healthy Meal Prep Chicken Skewers & Greek Salad
Photo credit: claudialicious.co.uk
Now summer is here we can officially start enjoying light fresh salads for lunch – and this chicken skewer recipe is perfect for enjoying in the sun or taking on the go!
- 1 Chicken Breast (125-150g of chicken breast)
- Half a courgette
- 4 Cherry tomatoes
- Half a red onion
- Half a pepper
- Optional: Cajun or peri peri spice
- 100g of mixed leaf salad
- 50g of cucumber
- 1 salad tomato
- 5 black olives (for lowest calories select a jar in brine)
- 25g of Greek-style cheese
- Sprinkle of oregano
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Season your chicken breast with Cajun or peri peri spice and chop up into large chunks.
- Slice your courgette and chop your onion and pepper halves into large chunks.
- To wooden skewers add your chicken, cherry tomatoes and other vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spray with low-calorie spray.
- Cook skewers in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Chop your Greek style cheese, cucumber and salad tomato and with olives and 100g of mixed leaf salad a bowl or Tupperware box. Sprinkle with oregano.
- Once cooked and cooled add your chicken skewers to your salad and enjoy!
Carbs: 17g (sugar: 15g)
Fajitas & Lettuce Wraps
Photo credit: beforeverhealthier.com
Spice up your meals with this healthy fajita recipe! The recipe is enough for one meal – add more chicken and double your veggies to make more meals for one of our favourite healthy meal prep meals.
- 4 large iceberg lettuce leaves
- 125g of diced chicken breast
- Fajita seasoning
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ a red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 medium mushrooms
- 2 diced salad tomatoes
- Optional: salsa & sour cream
- Dice your chicken breasts and season with a packet fajita mix.
- Finely chop your garlic and slice all your vegetables except the lettuce leaves. Spray a large pan with low-calorie spray and add your chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on a medium heat for around 15 minutes until cooked thoroughly.
- In each large lettuce leaf add your fajita filling and sauces.
- Roll your leaves into wraps and that’s it – easy!
Nutritional Information (without salsa & sour cream):
Carbs: 26g (sugar: 16g)
Power Burrito Jar
Photo credit: www.myprotein.com
Ok, so we admit layering this perfectly in a glass jar makes absolutely no difference to the taste, but how cute does it look? Plus stacking it in a jar like this does actualy make it a very convenient way to prep and take with you!
- 125g chicken breasts
- 1 tomato (finely chopped)
- ¼ of a chopped avocado
- 1 tbsp of tinned sweetcorn
- 1tbsp of mixed means or black beans
- Salt & pepper
- ¼ of a red onion (finely chopped)
- 25g of Mixed Leaf Salad
- 90g of cooked quinoa (30g dry) or rice
- Mixed her seasoning.
- In a large non-stick pan add low-calorie cookie spray and your diced chicken breast. Add desired seasoning or mixed herbs. On a medium heat, stir for around 15 minutes until cooked.
- Cook in a pan with boiling water, 30g of dry quinoa ( will make 90g of cooked quinoa – for more meals cook your quinoa in bulk 60g of uncooked = 185g when cooked).
- Dice your onion, tomato and avocado and mix with beans and sweet corn.
- Add chicken and mixed herb seasoning to your vegetable mix.
- In the bottom of your jar add quinoa or rice, then layer with your vegetable mix, chicken and salad.
Carbs: 35g (sugar: 6g)
Photo credit: eetpaleo.nl
If you are a pasta lover (who isn’t?!), then this is a perfect and delicious healthy alternative that can be made in bulk for a simple and healthy meal prep!
- 1 spiralised medium courgette (or buy already prepared)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt, pepper & Mixed herb seasoning
- 125g of turkey mince
- ½ of a red onion
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 salad tomato
- 150g of passata
- ½ a bell pepper
- Chop or finely dice all your vegetables.
- Spray a non-stick pan with low-calorie spray and add garlic and turkey mince. Stir for a few minutes until partially cooked.
- Add in your vegetables and continue to stir for 10 minutes until cooked.
- Add your passata and courgette to the mix and cook/simmer for a further 5-8 minutes.
- Add to a bed of spinach and enjoy!
Carbs: 22g (sugar: 18g)
Discover more of our healthy, high-protein recipes!